Monday, July 23, 2012

"Because I Could Not Stop for Death" By Emily Dickinson

<><><><> <><><><>
Because I could not stop for Death  
He kindly stopped for me   
The Carriage held but just Ourselves   
And Immortality.

We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility  

We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess – in the Ring   
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain   
We passed the Setting Sun  

Or rather – He passed us  
The Dews drew quivering and chill  
For only Gossamer, my Gown  
My Tippet – only Tulle  

We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground  
The Roof was scarcely visible  
The Cornice – in the Ground  

Since then – 'tis Centuries – and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads 
Were toward Eternity – 

Roberts, Edgar V., and Robert Zweig. Literature: An Introduction to Reading and
        Writing. Boston: Longman, 2012. Print. Emily Dickinson. Because I Could Not Stop for Death. Page 653-654.



Spoken Verse. "Because I Could Not Stop for Death" By Emily Dickinson. Reading Video Clip. YouTube. 17 November 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment